Monday 6 May 2013

The Radio in my Head

On Friday night Broadway boy Aaron Tveit performed is first concert at 54 Below. He has cleverly named his show 'The Radio in my Head" and all the songs he performed hold a special place in his heart, they tell his story of performing and it got me thinking.

 As Musical Theatre performers our job is to tell a story through song, after all that is why we prefer it over straight plays. The addition of music heightens the emotion for us. So why not tell our own stories through music? Aaron's genius inspired me to make my own playlist documenting my story.

1. Good Morning Baltimore- Hairspray.
-This was my first taste of Broadway. At 18 years old on a school trip I saw my first Broadway musical and got to do a workshop with some of the cast. It was at that moment I knew New York was the place I would one day call home.
2. Born to Try- Delta Goodrem
-At 11 years old there was a character on the TV show Neighbours that spoke to me more than anyone ever had. She was called Nina Tucker, a shy girl who came alive when she sang. Two years later the actress released her first single, Born to Try and I knew I wanted to perform for a living.
3. Over the Rainbow- The Wizard of Oz
- This was my first show in high school. I played Glinda but desperately wanted to sing this song! It was my first taste of being in a musical and I was in love.
4. Idaho- Nerina Pallot
- When I was 19 I was lucky enough to record with a professional sound engineer and this was the song. I learnt it in less than an hour and since then it has been one of my favourite songs to both sing and listen to.
5. I Miss the Mountains- Next to Normal
- For a long time I avoided this show, the issues in it and this song in particular hit too close to home and upset me far too much. When I was finally in a good enough place to listen to it I was completely blown away. Since then Diana has become a role I would love to play one day.
6. On My Own- Les Miserables
- The Musical and role that started it all. (See last weeks post for a full length ramble on how much this musical means to me! I shan't bore you again.)
7. Dark Blue- Jack's Mannequin
- I adored this band in high school but I hit a creative slump in university and stumbled across the front mans documentary. It inspired me just as much as Delta had ten years earlier and they have done ever since. So much so that I got their symbol tattooed onto me!
8. Out Tonight- Rent
- It took me a long time to get into this musical. My friends would always play me the songs and while I enjoyed them I was far too innocent to really appreciate it. Now I am obsessed! While I'm still quite timid whenever this song comes on I let loose and Mimi has become another dream role.
9. Memory- Cats
- This was the first song I ever performed. It was my first year at high school, I was 11 years old and my music teacher asked me to sing it for the class. She saw something in me that day and all through high school continued to push me to my fullest.
10. With You- Ghost
- I wrote about this musical for my final year dissertation and fell head over heels with the music. This song in particular is just so stunningly beautiful and surprise, surprise. Molly is another dream role!
11. Candyman- Christina Aguilera
- This is my go to karaoke song! I heard this album in my first year of university and became obsessed with all things vintage, as well as the different ways I could use my voice. Up until then it had been all musical theatre or Delta Goodrem. Now I started learning how to growl and riff and really expand what I could do.
12. No Good Deed- Wicked
- During my second year of university I was feeling unfullfilled. I was doing a Drama degree and missed singing. My parents completely supported me when I applied to do a short course in Musical Theatre and this was the first song I performed with them. I barely remember the performance because for the first time I got so into character I didn't think and afterwards I was hit with such a high I just knew I was doing the right thing.

Encore. They Just Keep Moving the Line- Smash
-This show gives me my weekly dose of Broadway and this song in particular really hit home. I get a degree, but that's not good enough I need to keep going. I get experience but there's always something else to complete. They just keep moving that dammed line!

So there we go! If I were to perform my own show, that would be the set list. It may be interesting to come back to it when I'm 30 and see what songs I would choose then. What would be added and what would be taken away?

Wish me luck, the same to you.
Annabelle
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment