Monday 29 April 2013

Top 5: Shows I've Seen

We've reached number one! Although I'm pretty sure this will come as no surprise to anyone...

Les Miserables

This was the first musical I ever saw, it started this whole thing off! I was 13 years old, on a school trip where everyone fell asleep during the show except for my musical friend and I. We sobbed when Gavroche died, I desperately wanted to be Eponine. (I couldn't hit Cosette's notes so she seemed more realistic) and I fell head over heels in love with Enjolras and Marius, the latter being played by none other than Mr. Hadley Fraser himself! How strange that ten years later I would see him again as Javert and then in the movie! 
If I'm honest that's all I remember, along with an overwhelming happiness and the ultimate desire that I wanted to be on that stage. Now that will never happen as it's moved from the Palace to the Queen's but I could still be in the show!
I have been very lucky when it comes to this musical, I was at the 25th Anniversary at which I sobbed... a lot! When the original cast came out and I saw Michael Ball my legs actually gave way! It wasn't pretty! My view count is just into double figures now and I'm still not bored. Every single time I see One Day More I get goosebumps and cry, and by the time the Epilogue rolls around I am a sobbing mess. There is just something about this musical that has hooked me, and is yet to let go a decade later.

The good bits:
Really? Okay... everything! The simplicity of the stage, the story. Alright, pause. The story... Victor Hugo wrote and incredible novel with such compelling characters, the moment you add music to their journeys you know it's going to be a hit. And go, the music. Pause. God have you ever heard such rousing songs? Do You Hear the People Sing was actually being considered as the French National anthem at one point and who can blame them? It makes me want to run and build a barricade every time! Go. The actors that have enhabited these characters are some of the best in the world, Lea Salonga, Aaron Tveit, Anne Hathaway, Ramin Karimloo, David Thaxton, Alfie Boe, Wolverine! I mean come on!!
[Source]

Favourite song:
One Day More. So 1. I love a song that grows and ends with an incredible note that everyone belts out. 2. I adore it even more when lots of people sing different things at the same time. 3. I LOVE THIS SONG. Okay so I maybe should have put a warning at the beginning of this blog, and you've probably already clocked onto this but today will basically be me 'fangirling' about Les Miserables. Apologies.
With all the characters singing about their stories, marching in time and singing such a rousing song I am always left with goosebumps and teary eyes. Not only is it my favourite song in the musical this is my favourite song of all time.
[Source]

Favourite character:
Enjolras. (You were expecting Eponine weren't you!?) He is just fascinating, and dies so tragically. I have always fallen in love with whoever has played him and since reading the book I am falling more and more in love with the character. I think even Victor Hugo himself had a crush on Enjolras! He's so inspiring and strong and brilliant!
Dream Cast:

Jean Valjean: Ramin Karimloo
Javert: Norm Lewis
Fantine: Ruthie Henshall
Marius: Craig Mather
Cosette: Judy Kuhn
Eponine: Lea Salonga
Enjolras: Aaron Tveit (Surprise, surprise!)
Thenardier: Alun Armstrong
Mme. Thenardier: Katy Seacombe

Someone please make that happen!

Wish me luck, the same to you.
Annabelle
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment